Lesson 3 - Your Response
1. Study 1 Corinthians 6:19-20 and answer three important questions concerning Christ's lordship over your life:
(a) Now that you are a Christian, what has your body become? A temple of the Holy Spirit.
(b) Why do you now belong to Christ? He bought me with His own blood.
(c) What should now be your purpose in life? To honor God.
2. Read Luke 6:46-49 and briefly summarize what you think Jesus was teaching in the parable of the wise and foolish builders:
(a) What must we do if we call Jesus our Lord? We should obey Him.
(b) What spiritual truth is represented by the house built on the rock? We build strong lives when we obey Jesus and make Him our foundation.
(c) What spiritual truth is represented by the house with no foundation? If Jesus is not our foundation, we lose everything.
3. What does the apostle James say about obeying the Bible? James 1:22-25 We should hear God's Word and obediently act upon it.
4. Obedience to Jesus Christ as Lord is the true test of your commitment to Him. What does the apostle John say about obedience? Find one thing in each verse. 1 John 2:3-6
v. 3: If we obey God, it shows that we know Him.
v. 4: To disobey God, while claiming to believe in Him, is dishonest.
v. 5: God's love is seen in the one who obeys Him.
v. 6: We must faithfully follow Jesus.
5. What is another sure way of knowing you belong to Christ? 1 John 3:14 If we truly believe in Christ, we will be filled with love for others.
6. As you grow in Christ, there will be times when you fail Him. No one except Christ has ever lived a perfect life. Be willing to admit you have failed and confess your sin. Briefly summarize what each verse in 1 John 1:8-10 teaches about confession and forgiveness.
v. 8: If we think we are sinless, we are deceived.
v. 10: If we say we are sinless, it is the same as calling God a liar.
v. 9: When we confess our sin, God forgives us.
7. What can you thank God for right now, concerning your need for God's forgiveness? 1 John 2:1-2 That Jesus lives and intercedes for us.