Lesson 1 - Your Response
Answer these questions by looking up the verses in the gospel of John:
- What did Jesus come into the world to do? John 1:29
- How did Jesus take away the sins of the world? John 19:16-18
- God loved the world and gave His Son to die on the cross. John 3:16 tells how we can personally benefit from what God has done. (a) Fill in your first name in each of the following blank spaces: "For God loved ________ so much that He gave His only Son (Jesus) so that if ________ believes in Him, ________ will not perish (pay the penalty for sin), but _________ will have eternal life."
- What new relationship do you now enjoy by believing in Christ? John 1:12
- What happens to those who do not believe in Christ? (a) John 3:18
- Eternal life is not obtained by being religious, keeping a set of rules, or doing good works, but by believing in a person, Jesus Christ. What does Jesus say in John 11:25-26?
- What happens the moment you believe in Christ? John 5:24
- Now, review your answers and state briefly how you know that your sins are forgiven and that you have eternal life:
(b) Physical life will end someday, but the life, which God wants to give each one of us, is eternal life—it will never end. What must you do to have eternal life? John 3:16
(b) John 3:36
Now that you have received Jesus Christ as your personal Lord and Savior, claim the assurance of your salvation. As a child needs physical food each day to grow, a child of God needs daily spiritual food.
1. Memorize these verses for Lesson 1. Promise of Salvation: "For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life." —John 3:16
Promise of Forgiveness:"If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness." —1 John 1:9
2. Go on to the next lesson, "Growing in Christ."